Growing vegetables in a greenhouse will give your seedlings the perfect environment to thrive. A greenhouse is useful for growing vegetables because it will allow you to plant seeds earlier in the season and protect them from garden pests.
Whether you`re planning to grow a small selection of salad greens and flowers for your garden, or intend to cultivate a sustainable vegetable garden, choosing the right greenhouse for your environment is an important consideration.
Depending on where you live, climate plays a big part in how you tend your plants. In milder regions where the temperature is warmer, seedlings can be brought on in a standard greenhouse at the beginning of the year. In colder climates where the temperature drops below freezing during winter and early spring, you should consider adapting your greenhouse to a hot greenhouse. By equipping your greenhouse with a heat source, you can protect your plants all year round.
Vegetables To Grow in a Greenhouse
- Tomatoes – Plant from March to April.
- Cucumber – Sow the seeds from March to April.
- Peppers – Plant out from February to April.
- Lettuce – Sow lettuce from March through to October.
- Carrots – Sow carrot seed from March to May.
- Radish – Spring radish can be grown from March. Plant autumn radish in July.
- Beans – April to June is the time to sow beans.
- Spinach – Plant from March to May.
- Cabbage – Plant cabbage from February to September.
- Onions and garlic – Early spring and in September to October.
You can begin sowing your seeds a month earlier if you have installed a heat source to your greenhouse.
Fruits like grapes, strawberries, peaches and citrus fruits thrive in a greenhouse environment giving you more variety to your vegetable garden.
A greenhouse is the perfect place to grow a wide variety of garden herbs like chives, basil, oregano, and fragrant herbs like lemongrass.
A well-placed greenhouse will improve your crop yield allowing you to grow vegetables all year round. You can add lots of flowers to the mix of edibles to create a beautiful indoor garden. With control over temperature, humidity and pest control, you can cultivate plants which prefer a warmer climate.