Spring is in full bloom and the garden is springing back to life. My spring bulbs are starting to fade out telling me it`s time to get out the May garden pottering checklist.
Houses plants need some love too and this is the ideal time to repot house plants in fresh soil. I like to give them a little day trip into the garden on mild days at this time of year.
My lawn has a few bald patches so it`s time to feed and seed the lawn and lower the blades on the mower to the summer cut height.
In the borders
- Get ready to plant out summer bedding plants at the end of the month.
- Lift out and divide daffodils and other spring-flowering bulbs.
- Stake and support tall perennials and climbers.
- Plant up hanging baskets.
- Prune spring flowering shrubs.
In the vegetable patch
- Support bean and pea plants.
- Place tomato plants outside to harden off.
- Harvest asparagus.
- Protect carrots from carrot fly by covering with horticultural fleece.
- Protect strawberries with straw.
- Check fruit trees and bushes for pests.
- Move out seedlings during the day to harden off.
- Open doors and vents to air out the greenhouse.
Weeding and pests
- Keep on top of those weeds.
- Check under leaves for bugs and pests.
- Check roses for blackspot
In my garden, Mrs Blackbird has been busy collecting bedding for her nest reminding me to check for bird nests before pruning trees and shrubs. I give them fresh water daily in a bird bath.
Happy garden pottering.